History of Trinity United Methodist Church

TRINITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

 

    The time was March 1962 and North Port Charlotte consisted of about 700 homes and 1250 residents. Wanting to help the community, the Florida Conference of the Methodist Church decided to obtain the services of the Rev. Alva Soldner, a retired Methodist minister, who lived in Port Charlotte. He conducted a survey to see if there were sufficient interest in the establishment of a new church.

 

    As a result, arrangements were made to use the Community Club for one hour each week. The Lutherans and Episcopalians also held their services in the “Club.” Rev. Soldner held the first service on June 10, 1962, with 46 people attending.

 

    On November 18, 1962, the Trinity Methodist Church of North Port Charlotte was organized and constituted. Sixty-seven people were received into membership that day. The official board was elected, and the Board of Trustees was formed. On December 1962, the Pastor and Board of Trustees applied formally to the General Development Corporation for a building site and immediately following that the church was incorporated. A building committee was formed, and an architect was selected. On January 7, the Women’s Society of Christian Service was organized.

 

    The young congregation was excited about the plans for the church and began raising the necessary funds to get started. General Development Corporation conveyed to the church 4.7 acres in North Port as a gift, the result of Pastor Soldner’s persuasion.

 

    On June 4, 1963, a Certificate of Organization was issued by the Florida Annual Conference. On November 8, 1963, Trinity was incorporated. On November 17, 1963, a groundbreaking ceremony was held. The cornerstone was laid on February 9, 1964. The first service was offered in the new church on May 24, 1964. On November 8, 1964, a consecration service was held with Bishop James W. Henley presiding. Ground was broken on April 17, 1977, for the Fellowship Hall and the Educational Wing of the church.

 

    In 1968, the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church merged into one united church, thus the current church name: Trinity United Methodist.

 

    In April of 1972, a new parsonage on the church grounds was completed. Prior to 1972, the congregation had purchased a small house on Chicopa Street to use as the parsonage.

 

    Over the years a new roof was installed, eavestroughs added, the asphalt driveways repaired, new lights for exterior and interior installed. Also, a security system has been set up, ceramic tile laid in the Narthex and coffee room, and south entrance. Carpeting was laid in the Pastor’s office and the Administrative Assistant’s office.

 

Contributed by Trinity Church Member, Joan Pass

Revision for website - January, 2019

TRINITY UMC

4285 Wesley Lane
North Port, FL 34287

Phone: 941-426-1734

@2019 TRINITY UMC NORTH PORT       WEB DESIGN WWW.MagicMomentStudios.com